Hello! Welcome to Ivory Pumpkin. Here you'll find snippets of things that I like and, hopefully soon, of things that I've created. Please stay awhile and browse.







Friday, May 9, 2014

Summer of Fae: The Creation of a Fairy Garden

I'm in the midst of trying to create a fairy garden in my yard. Now, living in Southern Nevada with extreme temperatures of about 110 in summer is not the ideal setting for fairy gardens. So planning a fairy garden takes a lot of thought. There is a corner of my yard that is mostly shade with a little late afternoon sun for about an hour.

Here's what I'm starting with:
See that green patch in the corner? It's fake grass that we put there so the pups can do their business there. There's a dirt patch there in the corner that's the "bird sanctuary". We have two little parakeets that we had for over 10 years buried there. 

Seeing that the patch is the bird sanctuary I won't be planting anything there that is very deep and I need something there that won't get burned to a crisp by the Nevada sun in the summer. I wanted some height in the garden as well. I found this plant-stand-cage thingy at Home Goods and it fits perfectly in that corner. I'm thinking of  putting a fairy house inside the stand and underneath, a potted plant that will trail up the stand, maybe some star jasmine.

I made these glass mushrooms from vases, candlesticks and bowls that I bought at the dollar store. I love the way they came out! I wish I could take credit for the idea but, I got it off of Pinterest.

I added the "mushrooms" to the base of the stand. The little green things growing are nasturtiums and allysum. I have no idea where the nasturtiums came from. They just started growing there so, that's where they will stay. I had some extra alyssum seeds from planting in my other flower bed so I scattered some in the bird sanctuary and they started to grow.

It's coming along little by little. I bought a wood birdhouse at Michaels and will paint it to look like a fairy house. I'm thinking about adding some solar led lights as well. I will post more as I add things to it. I hope the fairies will like it and come to visit soon......

Have a lovely weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment